Looking for an assessment of your book project?
You've come to the right place! A manuscript critique is ideal if you are hoping to land a literary agent, considering self-publishing, or simply looking to improve your craft. I welcome the opportunity to review manuscripts in the following genres and categories:
•Young adult and middle grade fiction (fiction for the 8+ market)
•Adult fiction (commercial women’s fiction, literary fiction, and fiction with multicultural themes)
Regardless of the critique service you choose, you would receive insight into the trade publishing process based on market trends and recent book deals (which I follow daily) and my interactions with publishing executives (whom I meet with frequently).
Full Manuscript Critique Details
- On up to 100,000 words/the equivalent of 400 typeset pages.
- A 3-4 page editorial letter with positive and constructive feedback on the main elements of the story, including plot, characterization, and theme.
- A light line edit of your first few chapters.
- Feedback on your query letter or pitch if applicable.
- A 30-45 minute follow-up phone or Skype meeting.
- Insight into the trade publishing process.
- Plenty of food for thought.
- Rates typically range from $900-$1950, depending on the project’s length, genre, scope, and complexity, with 60% due on the agreement to proceed and 40% due on the completion of services.
- Higher fees may apply if your project is longer than 100,000 words.
- Lower fees may apply if you decide to resubmit your work based on my feedback.
- Payment is by check, money order, or PayPal.
Submission & Payment Process
Please send me a brief description of your book project (up to 250 words) and a short sample (up to 2500 words). Also tell me a little about yourself and how you found my website.
If I feel that I can be of help, I will quote you my fee and give you my estimated turn-around time; if it doesn’t look like your work is the right fit for my experience, I may be able to refer you to another editor.
If we decide to work together, I would request an electronic copy of your manuscript and query letter/pitch (Word documents) as well as a print copy of your manuscript, along with your payment for the agreement to proceed; your final payment would be due after you receive my feedback but prior to our phone meeting.
For shorter projects, my turn-around time is generally 3-4 weeks; for longer projects, 4-6 weeks. A more specific time frame will be determined once we've agreed to work together.
Rush edits may be available for an additional fee.